Sunday, February 8, 2009

I may have had a bit of a tomato breakthrough today.

After a couple of hours of wandering through Condesa and Chapultepec Park, I made my way back to an Italian/Argentine café in Polanco and ordered the margerita pizza, expecting the few bits of tomato that usually come in such pizzas. But this thing was cut up into squares, with whole slices of tomato. Fail. Or was it?

I don't know if the tomatoes here are slightly different or if it was how the tomatoes were cooked, but they were totally edible, even tasty (not tangy, but slightly sweet and really soft). Sure, I picked out a little bit, but for the most part I just savored the flavor of this super tasty pizza. Qué locura.

I then headed toward Alto Tango, which has probably the best gelato I've ever had. And free wifi. Heaven.

Overall, the food here has been pretty good. Amazing french toast at El Péndulo. Cheap, fresh fruit juice everywhere. A great combination of quick, cheap street food and cute sit-down options. It helps that I've basically stayed within Condesa, Roma and Polanco. But my solo-ness has definitely hindered my efforts to check out the myriad restaurants in the immediate area. Classes start tomorrow, so hopefully I'll make myself some amiguitos and maybe have a few more food breakthroughs.

1 comment: