Saturday, February 6, 2010

From the website's a la carta offerings to the iPhone app w/ live streaming video, I have been incredibly impressed by the online footprint created by Spain's RTVE (Radio y Televisión Española). But I'm trying to step away from the peninsular Spanish accent to which I've become (in J's eyes) bizarrely accustomed and move toward the (to me) exceedingly unclear Argentine/rioplatense accent in advance of my 5-week stay in Buenos Aires.

I haven't found an Argentine equivalent to the super convenient RTVE site, but this government-affiliated channel, Canal Encuentro, offers pretty interesting series focused on history, science and culture. Right now I'm digging the Geografías and Historias de un país programs. Also worth checking out is Buenos Entonces, a language-learning series of apps that mixes the usual grammar with the slang specific to Bs As and also throws in a fun and saucy narrative. I've only paid for a few of the "classes" but even the free stuff on the blog is interesting. Add the country's major newspaper, El Clarin, to the mix and you have a decent online immersion experience.

1 comment:

  1. Hi TJ, if you want someone to chat in Spanish Argentino/Rioplatense, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm from Buenos Aires and I'd like to share my local experiences with you. By the way, happy birthday Sir.

    ReplyDelete